Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:41:12 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hangup on USB mass device

--On Tuesday, April 22, 2008 15:42:47 +0000 S=C3=A9bastien Morand=20
<seb.morand@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for the answer, I'm sorry for the little information I send.
>
> FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE kernel GENERIC on i386.
> I don't see anything in the message, but I'm not sure where to look at
> for crashdump.
>
> My computer is either hanging up for ever, I can't move mouse or use
> keyboard anymore, juste reset, or hang up a few seconds and reboot by
> it self.

Please don't top post.

I too am having a problem with umass on 7.0-STABLE.  Not quite the same as=20
yours, but similar.  During reboots, the umass device cases the kernel to core=20
dump and the system reboots.  If I unplug the drive and wait for the system to=20
come up to a login prompt, I can login, plug in the drive, watch it's detection =

and then mount it with no problem.

Dont' know what the problem is, but other problems with umass have been=20
reported on the STABLE list as well.  I've recompiled my kernel six times now.=20
The umass device has gone from unmountable to stable in the OS but still fails=20
during boot.

--=20
Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst