Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 01:19:32 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        andrew@pubnix.net
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rmail patch ..

Andrew Webster writes:

> You don't describe exactly what your patch fixes, but I infer from the
> code that it is to fix the condition that occurs when people have
> "reading confirmation" enabled and send back a blank message to "" which
> causes UUCP to report an error.

Sorry .. in my case, I happen to have a stupid SMTP <-> MS-Mail gateway
"downstream" behind a UUCP link. If _any_ mail delivery warning or failure
occurs or even a return-receipt is requested, the UUCP "From_" line on
outbound mail from the gateway looks like this ..

	From  Sat Mar 30 01:02:12 1996
		by xxx.xxx.com.au (5.6.5) with SMTP id BAA01601
	[ .. ]

The result is that rmail rattles around and eventually creates a command
line that looks something like ..

	sendmail -oee -odq -oi -oMrUUCP -f  intended@destination

Needless to say, this doesn't work particularly well and fills everyone's
mailboxes with warnings ("recipient must be specified" amongst others). I
should also add that the patch is not mine but Eric Allman's,

	michael