Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:22:55 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Virtualbox-ose - guest systems can't access USB after OS upgrade

After upgrading my PC from FreeBSD 9.2 to 9.3 my VirtualBox guests are
no longer able to access any of my USB devices. The USB section of the
Devices menu shows a greyed out message "No USB device connected". I
have Windows XP, FreeBSD and PCBSD guests and none of them can access
USB devices.

I've re-installed  virtualbox-ose-kmod to be compatible with the new
kernel and checked the usual things like group membership and devfs
rules.

I was wondering if there might be an issue with virtualbox-ose on the
newer OS releases?

curlew:/home/mike% uname -a
FreeBSD curlew.lan 9.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE #0 r268512: Thu Jul
10 23:44:39 UTC 2014
root@snap.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

curlew:/home/mike% pkg info virtualbox-ose-4.3.12_1
virtualbox-ose-4.3.12_1
Name           : virtualbox-ose
Version        : 4.3.12_1
Installed on   : Wed Aug 27 15:35:10 BST 2014
Origin         : emulators/virtualbox-ose
Architecture   : freebsd:9:x86:64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : emulators
Licenses       : GPLv2
Maintainer     : vbox@FreeBSD.org
WWW            : http://www.virtualbox.org/
Comment        : A general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware
Options        :
        DBUS           : on
        DEBUG          : off
        GUESTADDITIONS : off
        MANUAL         : off
        NLS            : off
        PULSEAUDIO     : off
        PYTHON         : on
        QT4            : on
        UDPTUNNEL      : on
        VDE            : off
        VNC            : off
        VPX            : off
        WEBSERVICE     : off
        X11            : on
Shared Libs required:
        libxml2.so.2
        libpng15.so.15
        libiconv.so.3
        libcurl.so.7
        libXt.so.6
        libXmu.so.6
        libXinerama.so.1
        libXext.so.6
        libXcursor.so.1
        libX11.so.6
        libSDL-1.2.so.11
        libQtOpenGL.so.4
        libQtNetwork.so.4
        libQtGui.so.4
        libQtCore.so.4
        libGL.so.1
Shared Libs provided:
        VirtualBox.so
        VBoxXPCOMIPCC.so
        VBoxXPCOMC.so
        VBoxXPCOM.so
        VBoxVMMPreload.so
        VBoxVMM.so
        VBoxSharedFolders.so
        VBoxSharedCrOpenGL.so
        VBoxSharedClipboard.so
        VBoxSVCM.so
        VBoxSDL.so
        VBoxRT.so
        VBoxREM.so
        VBoxPython2_7.so
        VBoxPython.so
        VBoxOGLrenderspu.so
        VBoxOGLhosterrorspu.so
        VBoxOGLhostcrutil.so
        VBoxNetNAT.so
        VBoxNetDHCP.so
        VBoxKeyboard.so
        VBoxHostChannel.so
        VBoxHeadless.so
        VBoxGuestPropSvc.so
        VBoxGuestControlSvc.so
        VBoxDbg.so
        VBoxDDU.so
        VBoxDD2.so
        VBoxDD.so
        VBoxCAPI.so
        VBoxC.so
        VBoxAuthSimple.so
        VBoxAuth.so
        DBGCPlugInDiggers.so
Flat size      : 234MiB
Description    :
VirtualBox is a family of powerful x86 virtualization products for
enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely
feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it
is also the only professional solution that is freely available as
Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public
License.

WWW: http://www.virtualbox.org/
curlew:/home/mike% pkg info virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.3.12
virtualbox-ose-kmod-4.3.12
Name           : virtualbox-ose-kmod
Version        : 4.3.12
Installed on   : Wed Aug 27 15:40:25 BST 2014
Origin         : emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod
Architecture   : freebsd:9:x86:64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : kld emulators
Licenses       : GPLv2
Maintainer     : vbox@FreeBSD.org
WWW            : http://www.virtualbox.org/
Comment        : VirtualBox kernel module for FreeBSD
Options        :
        DEBUG          : off
        VIMAGE         : off
Flat size      : 417KiB
Description    :
VirtualBox is a family of powerful x86 virtualization products for
enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely
feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it
is also the only professional solution that is freely available as
Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public
License.

WWW: http://www.virtualbox.org/

I've also tried Freebsd 10.0 and have the same problem.

--
Mike Clarke