Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 20:17:31 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Subject:   Current is currently really a mess (was: Re: Tk/Tcl broken(?))

On Wed, Jul 30, 1997 at 04:49:59AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> Regarding the Tcl/Tk port (etc.):
>
>  * When I updated tix ysterday evening (comitted in the meantime) I
>  * noticed that tk41 wants the tcl75 _port_, not tcl75 from the base
>  * system (someone should upgrade it in 2.2-STABLE or remove it (hi,
>  * phk)). tcl75 is also missing an entry in CVSROOT/modules.  Whoever
>  * left this mess behind should fix it.
>
> After the latest fiasco, I am strongly inclined to discontinue support
> of -current in the ports tree, at least until the current mess with
> tcl is settled.  tcl80 is BETA software at the master site, it doesn't
> belong to -stable, it doesn't even belong to -current (IMO).  It
> wasn't tested in the ports tree, and it doesn't even have a
> corresponding tk port.

Well, after some theory, here comes the praxis.

Satoshi, I have fully truely to agree with you, -current is
currently a mess. This doesnīt have nothing to do with -currentīs
policy "it might break your system" with regards to some days
of kernel instability or such ...

Every tcl/tk related port is broken in -current, because the
tcl 8.0 import seems to break everything.
Canīt build _any_ tcl/tk related port in the moment.

No tk41, no scotty, couldnīt finish work on an apache port
with python support (because python depends on tk41, which
doesnīt compile anymore), mrtg, tkman and so on ....

I think itīs not intended to make -current to a system, that
isnīt useable anymore for active developement work in the ports
area, or am I mistaken ???

In the past one of our goals was, to use -current as our playground
for new features, but as long as the system is still useable for the
other people using -current.

Currently -current is not in a useable state regarding active
port developement.

Ok, I could switch to -STABLE, but would loose SMP support.

Oh fellows, this isnīt funny :-/

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD