Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:46:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        rodrigc@crodrigues.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] mount(8) can figure out fstype

In message: <20070119023709.GA1524@crodrigues.org>
            Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@crodrigues.org> writes:
: This approach relies heavily on disklabels, and correct information
: being stored in disklabels.
:
: For FreeBSD, I do not like the idea of introducing a new dependency
: between mount(8) and BSD disklabels.

It's worse than you might think.  On OpenBSD, the line between
partition and slice that we have in FreeBSD doesn't exist.  Everything
is a partition, and they create the necessary labeling when the label
is read.  Since FreeBSD lacks that feature, for the most part, you are
going to have to implement some kind of 'file'-like magic number
recognition for filesystems if you want to use a similar approach.

Warner