Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 03:49:18 +0000
From:      "Gestur A. Grjetarsson" <gestur@islandia.is>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        admin@islandia.is
Subject:   system frequently hangs, and most often automatically reboots on daily basis.

Greetings,

We are experiencing some drastic failures in our main server

wich is the main server for servicing the Internet to our dialup

account customers.

The failure is in few words:

The system frequently hangs, often it reboots automatically without

any notice or much workload.  We've been running the FreeBSD os in about

a year now, and have tolerated this failures, but it seems that they are

getting more frequent, almost on daily basis.  It's not a good situation

having this system for the main server to the ISP we are running here.

the system consists of:

FreeBSD 2.1.5

 cslip and ppp are installed

System handles all main services for our ISP, such as:

        dns server, web server, news server, mail server, ftp server etc etc

P5/133

motherboard has 256kb.cache (not pipeline)

                viatech chipset (same as in hyundai mb's)

64Mb RAM

Adaptech AHA2940 bios v.1.21

two Quantum Atlas QI2120 2.1Gig SCSI2 Hdd's

one Quantum Atlas QI4300 4.3Gig SCSI3 Hdd external

Accton NE2000 compatible 10Mbit Ethernet Combo card

Cyclom multiport ISA with two 16port Cyclom multiports = 32ports.

20 microcom descporte 28.8S kbps modems

Any hints or questions on what might be the problem cause,

is greatly appreciated.Meš kvešju								  Isl@ndia

Sincerely								  Grensįsvegur 7

									  PoBox 9147

<bigger>Gestur A. Grjetarsson						  129 Reykjavik

</bigger>kerfisstjori islandia.is

	      islandia.com

									  admin@islandia.is

http://www.islandia.is						  gestur@islandia.is