Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 23:03:02 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiler Bug???

[ Backed off to -current ]

> I hope someone reads this and actually responds.

Will do.

> I cross-mail to these lists as some people I am trying to reach do not
> read either of these lists and it touches all (I think).
>
> O/S:  FreeBSD 3.0-current as of last few days.  X11 3.3.1, compiled here
> (mainly to get rid of the libtermcap problem).
>
> Scenario 1:
>
> Xfmail of 17-Nov-97 with xforms 0.88:  Compiles fine, then produces
> dozens of ``Bad Attribute'' and `Bad Coordinates''.  These come from
> libX11.  Tearing my hair out did not help, so I boot UP (was on SMP).
> The problem is... GONE!
>
> Recompile on UP, reboot SMP...   Problem is...  Yup, GONE!

Can't be a compiler bug, since compiler bugs don't go away with reboots.

> Scenario 2:
>
> Boot SMP again.  Compile and run Xcoral 3.1.  Pretty cool editor and
> finally can do ``normal'' cut-n-paste, etc.  So I set its geometry in
> .Xdefaults to =200x400.  Nope.  Will not chnge size.
>
> Guess what?  The window now has the specified geometry!

Guess what, you have bad memory!  Seriously, this is not a compiler bug,
but something in your hardware that is hosed up.  Either the memory is
bad, the timings are bad, the cache is bad, or some combination of the
above is bad.  Compiler bugs don't go away on reboots, but corrupted
memory does.

The other (highly unlikely) possibility is that you have some
non-standard kernel driver corrupting your user memory.  In any case,
those kind of errors point directly to hardware, and not to something in
FreeBSD.

Nate