Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 23:19:41 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@jnx.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recent kernel panics in the vm system

Karl, are you using LKM's?  I changed the size of the socket structure recently.

  From: Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>

  > I thought that everyone was complaining that Paul's SYN wait fixes
  > had hosed the show, or are we talking about something else?  FWIW,
  > my system is now crashing too, but without any crash dumps being
  > left behind for debugging. :(
  >
  > 					Jordan

  We have two issues here:

  1)	The SYN fixes did hose the show.  We have a prelim patch in which
  	APPEARS to be working (despite an analysis that it shouldn't); no
  	crashes in 30 hours attributable to it (there was one, but this
  	wasn't the cause).  I understand a REAL fix has been committed
  	and should be in tonight's SUPper.

  2)	We have another extant problem with NFS in -current.  This one is
  	REALLY odd.  What happens is that directories become inaccessible
  	and "pwd" fails (ie: ftpd cannot determine the current directory).
  	The problem comes and goes without reboot or other prodding that we
  	are able to determine.

  The second problem we have no good, hard evidence of a fix for.

  Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
  http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
  Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.ne
>>t/
  Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!