Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:15:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Joe Heuring <heyjoe@cts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post installation: leaf node, nfs, ftp, ...

NFS you want only if you have one or more other computers running some
variety of UNIX on the same local network.  Then you can mount file
systems from the second computer on the first (and vice-versa).  The
computer "sharing" a file system is the NFS server; the computer
mounting the file systems is the client.

If your other computers on the local network are Windows computers, you
want SAMBA for file sharing.  You install SAMBA so that your Windows
computers can see files on your FreeBSD computer.  If you want the
computer running FreeBSD to have access to Windows "shares", you
run sharity-lite or smbfs.  All of these are available in ports.
SAMBA includes smbclient, with which you can also print to a printer
attached to a Windows computer (and do it well, with apsfilter, which
knows how to use smbclient.)

If you say "No" to the question about whether the computer will be
a leaf node, it becomes a gateway that can forward packets.  If your
other computers were accessing the Internet through the computer
running FreeBSD, it would need to be a gateway.  You can enable this
by putting

gateway_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf.  If you do this during installation or afterward
from /stand/sysinstall, I think the option is enabled immediately
without rebooting--the equivalent of

sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

You can type

sysctl -a | grep forward

to see if forwarding is enabled (1) or not (0).

The equivalent of Shift Page Up is ScrollLock and the arrow keys.
Press ScrollLock again to return to the prompt.

	Annelise