Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2003 13:30:09 +0100
From:      "L. Jankok" <lj@2u2.nu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broadcom BCM5703X causing reboot? 4.8-RC2

Oliver,

I have said this different time on the list.
Use FreeBSD 4.7 Stable.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:20:07PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
:Jeff Behl <jeff@expertcity.com> wrote:
: > FreeBSD blade7-bc2.sjc 4.8-RC2 FreeBSD 4.8-RC2 #1: Wed Mar 26 20:17:42
: > GMT 2003
: >
: > i've had two reboots in the last 30 mins on a fairly heavly loaded web
: > server (apache).  the following immediately precedes both reboots (no
: > more messages after this):
: > [...]
: > any ideas or help?  these are the first blades we've put into production
: > (IBM bladecenter)...which isn't boding well at all for using the
: > remaining 14 blades.  the machines are only pumping out around 9Mb/s.
:
:I'm sorry, but I have to say that we seem to be suffering
:from the very same problem.  :-(
:
:We have a bunch of Compaq DL360G2 (about 20 of them) at a
:customer of ours, each of them has two Broadcom gigabit
:interfaces (bge0 and bge1).  There are spontaneous reboots
:when a machine is under high network load.  It seems to
:happen under 4.7-Release as well.
:
:This is a pretty critical issue for us, because we cannot
:easily replace those machines, nor can we plug in other
:gigabit cards (those are 1U servers and we need the two
:on-board interfaces).  The consequence would be that the
:OS might have to be changed, since we haven't experienced
:any reboots under Linux on a test machine so far.  :-(
:
:Any help is greatly appreciated.  I'm willing to assist in
:whatever way necessary to resolve this issue.
:
:Regards
:   Oliver
:
:--
:Oliver Fromme, secnetix GmbH & Co KG, Oettingenstr. 2, 80538 München
:Any opinions expressed in this message may be personal to the author
:and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix in any way.
:
:I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
:too young to have logged on yet.  Here's what I worry about.  I worry
:that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
:were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
:       -- Mike Godwin