Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:51:58 -0000
From:      <go@dubkat.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   X 4.0.2 & Oxygen GVX1

Hi everyone,
	I'm running 4.2 STABLE, cvsup'd last week, on an HP Kayak XU800. I
installed XFree86 4.0.2 via the ports, and have a 3DLabs Oxygen GVX1
(Permedia 3 chipset) video card. I'm wondering if anyone here has had luck
getting X 4.0.2 to work correctly with this card. I can get X to start up,
but something is wrong when it refreshes the screen...it's like there is
"static" that shows up when I move windows around. Also, eventually the
screen just goes completely black, though I don't think X itself crashed
(this has only happened when using mozilla). This seems like a "glint"
driver issue that X comes with, but there's no mention of problems on their
website, and I can't find anything in their mailing list archives or through
google. Another curious thing is that the X people mention that 24bpp isn't
really supported with the glint driver, and that they recommend using 32
(glint manpage: http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.2/glint.4.html). However, when I
choose 32, X won't start, saying something like "32bpp not supported in this
chipset" ...odd. So anyways, I've included my XF86Config, and I'm hoping
someone out there has gotten one of these cards to work well. XFree86 3.x
isn't really an option, because the Permedia 3 chipset isn't supported. If
you need any more info, please let me know...and thanks for your time :)

-Glenn Oppegard
 go@dubkat.com

================
/etc/X11/XF86Config:

# File generated by xf86config.

# **********************************************************************
# Module section -- this  section  is used to specify
# which dynamically loadable modules to load.
# **********************************************************************
#
Section "Module"

# This loads the DBE extension module.

    Load    "dbe"  	# Double buffer extension
    #Load	"GLcore"
    Load	"dri"
    #Load	"glx"
# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection

# This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"

# This loads the GLX module
#    Load       "glx"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

# The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.

    RgbPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)
#
# If you don't have a floating point coprocessor and emacs, Mosaic or other
# programs take long to start up, try moving the Type1 and Speedo directory
# to the end of this list (or comment them out).
#

    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

# The module search path.  The default path is shown here.

#    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"

# Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
# received.  This may leave the console in an unusable state, but may
# provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging

#    Option "NoTrapSignals"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort sequence
# This allows clients to receive this key event.

#    Option "DontZap"

# Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode switching
# sequences.  This allows clients to receive these key events.

#    Option "Dont Zoom"

# Uncomment this to disable tuning with the xvidtune client. With
# it the client can still run and fetch card and monitor attributes,
# but it will not be allowed to change them. If it tries it will
# receive a protocol error.

#    Option "DisableVidModeExtension"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local xvidtune client.

#    Option "AllowNonLocalXvidtune"

# Uncomment this to disable dynamically modifying the input device
# (mouse and keyboard) settings.

#    Option "DisableModInDev"

# Uncomment this to enable the use of a non-local client to
# change the keyboard or mouse settings (currently only xset).

#    Option "AllowNonLocalModInDev"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Input devices
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Core keyboard's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

    Identifier	"Keyboard1"
    Driver	"Keyboard"

    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"

    Option "XkbRules"	"xfree86"
    Option "XkbModel"	"hp"
    Option "XkbLayout"	"us"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier	"Mouse1"
    Driver	"mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "auto"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present

Section "Monitor"

    Identifier  "My Monitor"

    HorizSync   20-121

    VertRefresh 50-180

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

# Device configured by xf86config:

Section "Device"
#   Option      "UseFBDev"
    Identifier  "3DLabs Oxygen GVX1"
    Driver      "glint"

# X auto-detects pm3 chipset correct, but i've tried forcing it to be sure
# also tried gamma chipset
#   ChipSet     "pm3"
#   ChipSet     "gamma"
    BusID       "PCI:4:0:1"
    VideoRam    32768
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of screen sections may be present.  Each describes
# the configuration of a single screen.  A single specific screen section
# may be specified from the X server command line with the "-screen"
# option.
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "3DLabs Oxygen GVX1"