Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 20:29:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C and static initialization with unions

> > > Actually, we largely do separate into compilation units.  See all those
> > > files ending in '.s' and '.S'?
> >
> > I just grepp'ed for "asm(.*)" and piped to wc -l.  The result was a
> > non-zero count.
>
> "largely" is a relative, not absolute, expression.  Mock me not for the
> sins of others, especially where said sins are in your eyes alone.

Not being able to compile FreeBSD with TenDRA is a sin.

The problem here is that "largely" is just as uncompilable as "not at
all".

> > > Seeing as nobody actually seems to want this, it's obviously not of
> > > much interest.
> >
> > I would dearly love this.  Say "nobody who counts", please...
>
> You count by doing something about it.

I have zero control over this policy decision which was opposed
by me at the time it was being made.

Unless you are suggesting that you are willing to commit __P() based
prototype wrapping patches if I provide them?

I also have patches to cdefs.h that wrapper ANSI vs. non-ANSI vararg
declarations.  I use them to compile FreeBSD code using Aztec C,
which is the only C compiler to get the sizeof(int) right on the 16
bit address bus Motorolla 68000.

PS: If FreeBSD is going to continue to use antique compiler technology,
could it at least use classic antique compiler technology instead of
Edsel (gcc 2.7.2) compiler technology?  The old GCC we used back on
FreeBSD 1.1.x was about three times faster than what we have now, and
what we have now is incapable of compiling a large amount of new code.
If you are going to be unable to compile new code, at least you should
be unable to compile it quickly... 8-P.  ;-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.