Date:      Tue, 19 May 2009 13:09:24 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
Cc:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>, #freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wake-on-LAN support in FreeBSD?

--On May 12, 2009 6:33:03 AM -0700 Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
wrote:

> So, based on what I've read here and in my searches, for wake-on-LAN to
> work on a given system, the NIC itself has to support this feature, and
> in addition the OS has to be able to enable this feature (via the driver
> for the NIC). It seems likely that when this appears that a new option
> will be provided for the ifconfig command.
>
> Since we're stuck on 7.0, I guess the only option is to implement it
> ourselves...

I'm on 7.2 STABLE.  man (8) ifconfig mentions wol, so the capability at
least exists in 7.2.  In grepping through the device sources, it looks
like the e1000 driver has wol capabilities enabled as do a couple of
others.  You may be able to use that code at least to get headway in
creating drivers, if you can't use those existing drivers.  If you're
using the e1000 driver already (I believe you mentioned you're running
Intel NICs), you may be able to use wol out of the box without making any
changes.  Seems worth testing at least.

Paul Schmehl, If it isn't already
obvious, my opinions are my own
and not those of my employer.
WARNING: Check the headers before replying