Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 2015 10:43:32 +0200
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reproducible builds of FreeBSD in a chroot on Linux

--Sig_/ZpbHUX4VY=e01Z98FRkEWm3

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:

> So in a while, I expect to have set up=20
> https://reproducible.debian.net/freebsd/ as well as=20
> https://reproducible.debian.net/netbsd/ - but no promises (yet), but
> these are my plans ;-)

Awesome.
=20
> On Freitag, 8. Mai 2015, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > also: By "FreeBSD" do you mean the kernel? or the whole system?
> > Unlike Linux, FreeBSD includes most of what the Linux world would
> > consider to be the domain of the base distro..  e.g. cat, ls, cc, etc.
>=20
> I mean the whole system (what you get when you run "make world") as well
> as the ports.
>=20
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/ReproducibleBuilds claims there are 3 known
> issues (for "make world" AIUI) for HEAD, I would like to build twice and
> verify myself.

The page is out of date, but luckily most of the issues are trivial to
fix and there's work in progress to upstream the patches from ElectroBSD
whose distfiles already built reproducible on amd64:
https://www.fabiankeil.de/gehacktes/electrobsd/#reproducible-electrobsd

The only non-trivial issue I run into was the efi boot stuff, but as
I don't have the hardware for it anyway, I just detached it from the
built for now and didn't spent a lot of time investigating. Obviously
this "solution" is unlikely to fly for FreeBSD. Some of the other
patches would require some polishing as well.

Fabian