Date:      Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:17:27 -0400
From:      Boris Kochergin <spawk@acm.poly.edu>
Subject:   Kernel memory leak in 8.2-PRERELEASE?

Ahoy. This morning, I awoke to the following on one of my servers:

pid 59630 (httpd), uid 80, was killed: out of swap space
pid 59341 (find), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 23134 (irssi), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space
pid 49332 (sshd), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space
pid 69074 (httpd), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 11879 (eggdrop-1.6.19), uid 1001, was killed: out of swap space

And so on.

The machine is:

FreeBSD exodus.poly.edu 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.2-PRERELEASE #2: Thu
Dec  2 11:39:21 EST 2010
spawk@exodus.poly.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/EXODUS  amd64

10:13AM  up 120 days, 20:06, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

The memory line from top intrigued me:

Mem: 16M Active, 48M Inact, 6996M Wired, 229M Cache, 828M Buf, 605M Free

The machine has 8 gigs of memory, and I don't know what all that wired
memory is being used for. There is a large-ish (6 x 1.5-TB) ZFS RAID-Z2
on it which has had a disk in the UNAVAIL state for a few months:

# zpool status
   pool: home
  state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is
missing or
         invalid.  Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue
         functioning in a degraded state.
action: Replace the device using 'zpool replace'.
    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J
  scrub: none requested
config:

         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         home        DEGRADED     0     0     0
           raidz2    DEGRADED     0     0     0
             ada0    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada1    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada2    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada3    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada4    ONLINE       0     0     0
             ada5    UNAVAIL      0    85    11  experienced I/O failures

errors: No known data errors

"vmstat -m" and "vmstat -z" output:

http://acm.poly.edu/~spawk/vmstat-m.txt
http://acm.poly.edu/~spawk/vmstat-z.txt

Anyone have a clue? I know it's just going to happen again if I reboot
the machine. It is still up in case there are diagnostics for me to run.

-Boris