Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 23:46:27 -0700
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Subject:   Re: laying down tags

Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>
> > Tags can span time, span branches, and subsets of the repository.
> > A tag may not represent a bulk commit.  Tags are associated with
> > specific revisions of files, not some arbitary date.
>
> Well, reading over this, it appears (though it's not clear) that you
> agree that dates can do the job of tags.

No, I said that under very limited circumstances, data specifiers
can do the job of tags.  The circumstances are quite limiting and
require significant attention to details [ie: scouring of logs
for the right date (and tag if commit was on a branch) to use].

If you want to cut down on space used by a tag, only tag subtrees.

	Kurt