Date:      Sat, 27 May 2006 02:13:36 +0100
From:      Shaun Amott <shaun@inerd.com>
To:        Freddie Cash <fcash@ocis.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good examples of not deleting custom config files/installing new config files

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 04:29:56PM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:

> Could someone point me to some ports that do a good job of not
> deleting custom config files when you do updates?  I'd like to
> incorporate something similar into my ports.  Currently, I just
> install everything with a .sample and put a note in the pkg-message.
> Which works great for upgrades, but not for the initial install.  And
> as my ports go into the "multiple-dozens of config files in multipls
> sub-directory" area, it's getting to be a pain for the users to copy
> files around.

www/horde does it in pkg-(install|deinstall) - handy if you have quite a
few files; but the more common way is to do a comparison in pkg-plist:
net-im/ejabberd is a fairly typical example of this method.

Essentially, you just need to use 'cmp -s' to determine whether any of
the files differ from their .sample counterparts.

--
Shaun Amott [ PGP: 0x6B387A9A ]
    Scientia Est Potentia.