Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 09:36:07 +0300
From:      "Victor Ponomarev" <vick@unet.ru>
To:        "Steve Grandi" <grandi@noao.edu>, <jef53313@bayou.uh.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: I need a strategy for making my STABLE installation stable

I've more interisting behaviour with 2.2.5-RELEASE. When I tried install the
release from Walnut Greek cdrom pack on my mashine it's hang up during
transfer  files to disk.
The same was happened with 2.2.2-RELEASE.

Hardware: Intel Venus, P6-200-256, 64MB ECC FPM, Adaptec 2940 Ultra (BIOS
1997), Sony CDU 415 12x SCSI, IBM UltraStart  2ES 4,3GB Ultra SCSI, 3COM
3C900 ExtherLink XL.

 I've tried to lower the transfer rate on SCSI bus to 10Mbps. The problem
still exist.

I've made an attempt to accomodate the hardware.

1) First change Sony CD-ROM -> Philips 8x CDROM
    Nothing changed.

2) I took a old AHA 2940 Ultra from my friend (BIOS 1996) .
    Well! All is fine. But I'm not sure that trasfer rate was 20 Mbps on
SCSI bus.

3) Take another AHA adapter with new version of SCSI BIOS
The story repeate again independely of transfer rate.

4) Change IBM UltraStar to Seagate Hawk Ultra 34555 N.
If transfer rate is 20Mbps the instalation is hang up.
If transfer rate is 10MBps  the one finish sucseffuly.
But the behavior of PC didn't suit me I feel that somethig work bad and
performance is not well.

The SCSI terminators is fine (AHA is in automatic mode).
May be something changed in SCSI BIOS that hungs up the SCSI bus?

Vick
e-mail: (vick@unet.ru) , voice +7-095-9569225.