Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:09:24 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <Malcolm.Kay@internode.on.net>
To:        "Aaron Burke" <aburke@nullplusone.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "User Tysken" <tysken@post.utfors.se>
Subject:   Re: XDM on multiple virutal X screens ( ALT-F9,ALT-F10...)

On Thursday 27 February 2003 00:33, Aaron Burke wrote:
> [...]
=2E..
> > I want to be able to have multitiple xdm loginscreens on the same
> > workstation using only one monitor and so on.
> >
> > I wounder if this is the right file to edit in:
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
>
> This is the only file that you have to modify, however you need
> to make two seperate mods.
>
> The default file just says
>
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
>
> Just change it to say the following.
>
> :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0
> :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1
=2E..

Noticed this, out of curiosity decided to try it.
OK.

Then forgot second X display was installed and
next time the machine was started did not enter ALT-F10.
Then on:=20
$ shutdown -h now
the machine hung with some complaint from fetchmail
which I have running as a daemon. Only response was from the=20
power switch.

On rebooting and waiting for fsck the sam sequence of events recurred.

Disabled second X display and problem disappeared.

Coincidence? Seems unlikely!
Had nothing to do with fetchmail? Possible.

The system is:
FreeBSD beta.home 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #0: Sun Feb 23

xdm is activated via /etc/ttys

Malcolm Kay