Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 11:27:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenSSH patches

As has been mentioned here recently, the OpenBSD guys have taken an old
version of SSH, from before it caught a restrictive license, cleaned it up
(replugged the security holes, etc), and released it as OpenSSH (actually I
think it's due to be released "officially" with OpenBSD 2.6).

The patch at

http://www.freebsd.org/~kris/openssh-991031.patch

allows the OpenSSH sources from 991031 (now that it seems to have
stabilized somewhat) to build under FreeBSD - the changes are all just
tweakery to deal with different location of header and library files in
OpenBSD.

You need to have the openssl port installed (with RSA support enabled), and
the following environment variables must be defined before building will
proceed:

KERBEROS
AFS
SKEY
TCP_WRAPPERS

These should (presumably) be either 'YES' or 'NO' depending on whether or not
your system has the relevant libraries available. Note that I have only
tested building with TCP_WRAPPERS, since my system doesn't use any of the
others. It may build, or it may not.

I also haven't tested whether this actually WORKS, because my machine isn't
on the 'net right now. It builds fine, though - I'd be interested to hear
from people about how it works (it's supposedly interoperable with the "true"
SSH 1.x client/servers). Binary size is about 50k larger than the ssh-1.x
binaries, because it uses OpenSSL instead of internal crypto routines, and
probably pulls in extra stuff indirectly which it doesn't actually use.

Making a port would be fairly trivial - you'll have to obtain the source from
the OpenBSD CVS repository directly, though - see http://www.openbsd.org/ for
information. You can use 'cvs get' from the appropriate server to download
the usr.bin/ssh directory. If it wasn't for the US crypto restrictions we all
know and love, I'd put the tarball up on my website. Roll on the revolution!
:-)

Kris

----
Cthulhu for President! For when you're tired of choosing the _lesser_ of
two evils..