Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 03:50:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      S Jones <root@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
To:        whitmore <whitmores@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, whitmore wrote:

]Hello,
]
]My Name is TSgt Shannon Whitmore, I'm in the US Air Force and attending
]school in computer operations.  The curriculum involves UNIX.  I was
]looking on the wbe for info and anything else I could find to further my
]UNIX experience, and I found your site..great by the way...anyway this
]is my question.
]
]I have down loadied the boot disk and would like to download the
]operating system..I've read all your info pertaining to pre install
]ext.. I booted from the boot disk and started installation, I was going
]to install via the FTP, how ever it only allows COMM1 or 2 and My modem
]is on COMM4,  I do not have the documentation for my modem to change the
]jumpers for any other comm ports..So I was going to D/L using WsFtp,
]however I have no Idea by looking through the site what I need to D/L..I
]wanted the basic operating system with the X-windows System, and allow
]adminstration of the system.  Could you please tell me which directories
]and files if possible I need to D/.L from to obtain what I want.  I
]would greatly appreciate it.
]
]Thank you,
]Shannon Whitmore
]

Well, you can switch to COM4...  When you boot up to your installation
disk (or whatever it's called), you can get a visual kernel configuration
screen...

Move your cursor to the "communications" then select sio0 or sio1
(whichever you want to use to refer to your modem) and then press enter...
You'll drop the the lower half of the screen, and you can set the base
address (in hex) and the irq and there's probably another field I'm
forgetting...

The base address of COM4 is the same as COM2, but it's got a 3 instead of
a 2, or visa-versa, at the beginning...  I have a terrible memory for
these things...  =)

Hope that helps...  You'll also need to know alot of info regarding the
setup of your ISP, don't forget their IP and the NAMESERVER...

-saxon@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca