Date:      Tue, 9 May 2006 23:16:20 -0400
From:      "m m" <needacoder@gmail.com>
To:        "Joe Marcus Clarke" <marcus@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patch for adding /media to FreeBSD

On 5/9/06, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org> wrote:

> /mnt is designed to hold one mount point temporarily (e.g. I want to
> mount an NFS file system to test NFS, or to get at a file
> quickly).  /media differs in that it is a directory to hold multiple
> mount points.  Say I insert a CD, floppy, and USB drive.  All would be
> mounted under /media in directories like /media/floppy, /media/disk,
> and /media/VOLUME (where VOLUME is the label on the CD).

Thanks - that does clear it up, however...   It seems less intrusive (/
already has too much in there) and in my opinion better name match to use
/mnt/temp for "temporary mount" and /mnt/floppy and /mnt/disk and
/mnt/VOLUME, etc for "other" mount points...  Since you're changing things
anyway, this seems like a better choice - plus it has the benefit of being
"backward compatible" without introducing more / directories.