Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:58:48 -0600
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        stable at FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   My first world build and install

Hi All.

Yup. I used the standard-supfile as distributed with 4.5-REL to download
the files changed in RELENG_4_5 (for the OpenSSH fix, but I see that other
stuff had been tended to), followed Chapter 19 of the Handbook, and it
all went swimmingly. Kudos to The Project for having it so all together.

But now, I do have a few questions.

- I see in /usr/lib where several libraries weren't installed:
  libacl, libasn1, libgssapi, libhdb, libkadm, libkadm5clnt, libkadm5srv,
  libkafs, libkdb, libkrb, libkrb5, and libroken. Some look Kerberos
  related, but I can't identify them all.

  How does one identify what these libraries "belong" to?
  What did I screw up that they weren't installed? A 'grep' of the
  build log shows they weren't built; why not?

- Being ignorant to the innards of shared libraries, I have to ask:
  As they are linked at runtime to the apps that want them, I don't
  have to rebuild those apps, right? What about sub-dependancies (that
  is, an app that uses libXXX.so that uses a changed library)?

- Is there any "easy" way to determine apps that are statically linked
  to libraries? These will have to be rebuilt. I suppose I'll find out
  as they break at runtime, but I'd rather not.

- I built and installed the world with -DNOPROFILE=true, yet there are a
  lot of profile libraries in /usr/lib. Is this intentional and normal?

All I changed in standard-supfile was the default host line.

I have the uneasy feeling I'm only half done... What other things are
possible pitfalls I have to be aware of and tend to?

Dave

--