Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:35:44 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, mij@osdn.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: documentation issues generally

Doug Young wrote:

> > Perhaps it's time to start thinking about an official companion to the
> > FreeBSD Handbook, something titled on the order of "FreeBSD Newbie's
> > Guide" or "Learning FreeBSD"?
> >
> How to keep those intent on needless complexity from dishing up more of
> the same style content as they have succeeded in doing to date ??

Perhaps by throwing the "bureaucrats" some of their own? The IEEE
documentation standards clearly separates docs into reference and
learning categories. The Handbook should remain a reference work, but we
are still lacking a learning work.

The beauty of Open Source is that it *is* being done. It's just not
being done at the official level. The documenation we need is 90%
complete, it's just scattered over half a dozen websites. If someone
could coordinate the efforts and create a finished document out of it,
the odds of getting it into the distribution set would be a lot easier.
I would volunteer a little work towards this (but I can't do much since
I'm already sucked into some OSS documentation work elsewhere).

David