Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 1997 10:02:48 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        VR <atgrim@thevine.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.2 and a Sony 8x CD-ROM Drive.

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, VR wrote:

> I just received FreeBSD 2.2.2 on CD-ROM. When I tried to install it, it
> would not recognize my cd-rom at all, although it appeared that the
> driver was in fact there. I am new to FreeBSD and UNIX so I have
> probably done something wrong. I have read and re-read all
> documentation  that I could find and I was unable to figure out just
> what is going on.

I assume it's an ATAPI (IDE) CD-ROM. If so, make sure it's connected to
one of the "main" EIDE controllers on your motherboard (and *not* to a
sound card). Preferably as either the slave on the primary controller or
as the master on the secondary controller. Also, have the CD in the drive
when you boot the install floppy.

>  Also, I began a dos installation and it seemed to go
> fine until it reached the ports collection. It then gave me the message
> that the "File system is full. Unable to write to disk". After that, it
> installed XFree86 without a hitch. It did not load the boot manager like
> it was supposed to, and it was supposedly missing xf32-xc.tgz off the
> cd-rom. Did I get a bogus disk?? Any help would be appreciated.

Don't know. How many disks do you have? If you installed FreeBSD to a
disk other than the first one, the boot manager will end up on the wrong
disk.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Vince Rodriguez

Nadav