Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:23:41 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfilter v. ipfw

| Hmmm.  I do indeed have both "ipfilter" and "ipfw" support enabled in
| my kernel.  However, I am currently using only "ipfw" firewall rules
| (in /etc/rc.firewall).  I've been considering the idea of switching
| over to the new "ipfilter" facility, but I haven't had time yet.

Is ipfilter newer/better/smarter/faster/etc than ipfw?  I've always been
under the assumption that ipfw was the "built-in" packet filtering code
and ipfilter was a kind of add-on filtering that wasn't as built-in.

Is this correct or am I missing out?  I've got no complaints about ipfw
and haven't needed to consider ipfilter.