Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 22:32:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        Dale Chulhan <dchulhan@uwi.tt>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Future And Direction Of FreeBSD Project

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> WindRiver is gone (or, at least, about to go).  DaemonNews is coming.
> There are both bad and good news.  Don't over-estimate the importance
> of bad news and, at the same time, under-estimate the optimism behind
> good news.

To add my $.2: Especially when talking about computers, there has always
been *A LOT* of hype everywhere. Really, whenever I read a news article
about anything that has to do with computers, I always find something in
there that is purely speculative and far away from the truth.

I have seen articles out there that said that because Jordan works for
Apple and because the release of 5.0 has been postponed, FreeBSD is dead.
However, drawing *that* conclusion from the two facts mentioned above is,
actually, stupid and has very little to do with reality.

I think that the most important factors for FreeBSD are developer and user
input. Without developers, the project would not continue to go on, and
without users, it would make no sense to go on. However, even after the
WindRiver thing and the postponed 5-release, developers and users are
obviously there. I don't see a reason why that should change.

My advice: Whenever you read something somewhere on the web (or even in a
magazine), have another critical look at it. I've never had much to do
with Linux (in contrast to FreeBSD, ;-)), but I remember a few years ago
reading that "Linux would soon be dead" when the public learned that Linus
Torvalds would work for Transmeta. As we know today, that has not
happened, and even back then I could not understand why it shoud happen.

FreeBSD will also continue to be there in full force, I don't have any
doubts about that.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org