Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 11:25:36 -0600
From:      "Ellis, Joshua" <ellis@kcc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   AIC-7890 - can't install 3.1-RELEASE

I'm wracking my brains on this one.  I've got over a dozen FreeBSD boxes
that run like champs, but my new one just isn't going.  ASUS P2B-S
motherboard, with a PII/450.  Using the onboard AIC-7890 controller with a
Quantum Viking II 4.5WLS Ultra-LVD drive.  On boot-up, everything identifies
itself correctly.  If I go into the on-board SCSI-Select utility, it
identifies the hard drive, and I can run the low-level format, so the
controller and drive appear to be communicating.

Attempting to install 3.1-RELEASE, after the full-screen visual config, it
starts to load the kernel.  After going through the hardware detection, it
gets to the point where it says, "waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to
settle" or something close.  Then I start getting errors:

Unexpected busfree.  LASTPHASE == 0x40
SEQADDR == 0x8a
(probe0:ahc0:0:0:1):SCB 0x0 - timed out in datain phase, SEQADDR==0x88
(probe0:ahc0:0:0:1):BDR message in message buffer
(probe0:ahc0:0:0:1):SCB 0x0 - timed out in datain phase, SEQADDR==0x87
(probe0:ahc0:0:0:1):no longer in timeout, status=34b
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 1 SCBs aborted

This block of messages is repeated ad nauseum, or at least for 10 minutes,
when I turn the machine off.  I've verified the drive is terminated,
verified we're in LVD mode, and tried different SCSI IDs.  Any suggestions
on what to look at next?

Thanks,
-joshua
---
Joshua Ellis - Kimberly-Clark Internet/Intranet/Notes Services
email: ellis@kcc.com * phone: 920/721-2779 * fax: 920/721-6180