Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 21:15:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        nsayer@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFD: "bogomips" CPU performance metric

As Nick Sayer wrote ...

> so long as
> they don't break anything in the process.
>
> I would like to generate a number that will hopefully be reasonably
> compatible with
> the one Linux spits out. The best method I have come up with is to have
> a similar
> (the same?) count down loop in assembler. Have it count down from
> 1,000,000 and
> see how much nanotime() has gone by. NANSPERSEC/nansused = bogomips.
> A 1 bogomips machine will take an extra second to do this (anything
> likely to be
> even able to run FreeBSD should exceed 1 BM - yes, ha ha), and a kBM CPU
>
> can do it in 1 ms. Perhaps in the future a prescaler might be required,
> but
> this whole thing is just really chrome anyway.
>
> Would anyone scream and projectile-vomit if I added this to identcpu.c?

I really don't see any merit in adding Linux-isms like this. Sounds a bit
like the 'hack of the day' to me. I feel FreeBSD is well respected
for it's stability etc. Not for it's 'me too' Linux-isms without any
practical use. Mind you, I don't say Linux does not have stuff that is
useful for inclusion in FreeBSD. I just stay BogoMips is what it
calls itself: bogus, and should be kept from the FreeBSD kernel.

Just my Dfl 0.02

W/