Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 21:55:41 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, julian@TFS.COM
Subject:   Re: Just how fast can we go... (was: Re: SCSI target)

|> [cc: trimmed to hackers, seems the best place, since we are talking
|> about both scsi and 100MB/sec ether :-)]

|> > weeeellll, no, there are advandages in being able to transfer
|> > 128KB of scatter-gather data in one hit with NO
|> > cpu intervention..... :)

|> The 21040/21140 chips are bus master just like a scsi controller, and
|> can infact do some very large scatter-gather's in there own right.
|
|But you are still limited to the packet-size on the 100mb net...

If you are going to do a "nice little cluster",  there is nothing more
important than latency.  Bandwidth doesn't matter so much, once you get
above several user megabytes per second.  I am not able to judge how
gather-scatter affects things; I do know that nearly all modern numerical
algorithms are constructed so that this does not occur.  CRI systems
for quite some time have had hardware support for gather-scatter and
I've never seen an intelligently written code that required it.  YMMV.

Russell