Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 14:48:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msanders@aros.net (Michael K. Sanders)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, garbanzo@hooked.net, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd@atipa.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

> >I believe you can burn a "short" DVD in a normal CD burner, and
> >then pretend it's a DVD in oly 1/3 of the DVD drives out there.  8-(.
>
> Sorry Terry, but in a word "No".
>
> CD-Rs don't burn DVD, they burn CDs. You may be able to read that CD-R
> disc in a DVD-ROM drive, but that doesn't make the disc DVD.
>
> DVD uses a shorter wavelength laser than CD. It is not possible to
> read or write a DVD disc in a standard CD-ROM or CD-R drive.

You can burn a CD-ROM (NOT DVD) with a CD ROM burner, and have it
contain a "short" DVD FS.

Most (2/3's) of DVD players will believe it is a regular CD-ROM,
not a DVD.

Several DVD CDROM drives, however, recognize DVD's based on their
format, not their recording technology (on the theory that software
will want to be written to DVD's in a non-DVD revording format to
make them "long" CD-ROMs).  Unfortunately, the majority do not.

The point is not to make a DVD, but to make a disk which the
drive will interpret as a "short" DVD.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---