Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 18:50:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Larry Baird <lab@gta.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        <bf@fuerwitt.de>
Subject:   Re: pppoe crashes in 4.3-stable (14.5.2000) became another fxp-Problem

In article <994F3E5EFB739743BC71B64CAA256F5D4205@gta.com> you wrote:

>> > I tried compiling in all of the netgraph-stuff
>> (statically), the result
>> > remains the same.
>> > I built the world, after changing any kernel-options. And
>> now i've upgraded
>> > again to 4.3-stable (16.05.01). Nothing changed.
>>
>>  I had the same problem. You need to have:
>>
>> # PPPoE Stuff
>> options         NETGRAPH
>> options         NETGRAPH_ETHER
>> options         NETGRAPH_PPPOE
>> options         NETGRAPH_SOCKET
>>
>>  all four of these things in your Kernal in order for it to
>> work right.
>>

> Ok, I found the problem. Just changed the Intel EtherXpress with an old
> RTL8029.
> No Problems with PPPoE anymore. Seems to be another Problem of the new
> fxp-Driver (thx for it :-))
Look at the archives this is a reported problem (and fix) with the
fxp driver (new or old).  Pppoe tries to send packets using the
fxp driver when the interface isn't up yet.  This causes a panic
in the fxp driver.

I am not in a position to generate diffs for the fix but you
want to add:
        /*
         * Don't send anything unless initialized.
         */
        if ((ifp->if_flags & IFF_UP) == 0)
                return;

to the fxp_start() function like below to get around this problem.

static void
fxp_start(struct ifnet *ifp)
{
        struct fxp_softc *sc = ifp->if_softc;
        struct fxp_cb_tx *txp;

        /*
         * Don't send anything unless initialized.
         */
        if ((ifp->if_flags & IFF_UP) == 0)
                return;

Larry