Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2017 10:11:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Antonio Olivares" <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Polytropon" <freebsd@edvax.de>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Redirection in websites

On Fri, October 13, 2017 8:00 am, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 19:43:05 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>>> Something strange is going on when I try to visit a website.  I type
>>> www.duckduckgo.com in the address bar, and instead of getting
>>> duckduckgo, I
>>> see google.  I do the same but visting www.yandex.com, and I get
>>> google.com.
>>
>> Interestingly, I have seen this strange behaviour on tablets
>> and on smartphones (in their respective web browsers); it also
>> happens when you enter an IP, for example 192.168.100.1 (to
>> connect to a Fritz!Box) - and you get Google search results.
>> This must be some "helpful modern setting"...
> I run a ping yandex.com and I get
>
> [austrumi@ ~]$ ping www.yandex.com
> PING www.yandex.com (213.180.204.62) 56(84) bytes of data.
> but it stays there and does not get more hits, I type the full address
> and I get a censorship page from the school.  See page attached if
> permitted by school.
> The other pages do the same.
>

>> What web browser[austrumi@ ~]$ ping www.yandex.com
> PING www.yandex.com (213.180.204.62) 56(84) bytes of data.
> are you using?
>>
> Using mozilla-firefox and/or firefox-esr because I need java plugin
> for school stuff.
>>

>>> Some of my friends say that it is a conspiracy, 1984 by George Orwell
>>> is
>>> happening.
>>
>> It's happening all the time, and nobody cares.
> This is real sad, but what can one do, if the people do not care that
> their rights are being taken away by others.

I'm sure people already answered that redirect can happen on the perimeter
firewall of one's network or on the side of [rogue] network provider. So,
I'll only comment on the conspiracy. I personally consider it quite likely
that google collects data for "big brother". All mentioning of that are
"shushed down", but they kind of are supported by, say, reasoning: you are
offered to use "free services" (that cost provider - google a lot!), who
is paying for that and why? I only know one source of uncounted and
unaccounted for money: taxpayer's money. Another thing I observed myself
as sysadmin: gmail accepts all messages, even for users that do not exist,
and only then it replies you with non-delivery message for non existing
users. Why accept ALL messages? To just extract information, or someone
can think of another reason?

All browsers for quite some time do the following by default: if you type
wrong URL, they do google search on that and give you results of search.
Instead of right thing: giving me error that that domain does not exist.
What was the reason to introduce this sort of behavior?

But alas, people are already conditioned en masse to not think of
anything, to do what they need to do by doing google search first... As
someone just asked another person (who was looking up one's the
Departmental website on google): do you guys ask google how much money do
you have left in your wallet?

Oh well, I guess the saddest lesson of history is that people do not learn
lessons of history (then get what they deserve).

</rant>

(I should have opening "rant" tag somewhere, but it was hard to figure
where to put it ;-)

Valeri