Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:52:35 -0700
From:      John Rudd <jrudd@cats.ucsc.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installing via USB Floppy drive?

I've checked a couple different places, and haven't found a conclusive
answer ... so I'm sending my query here.

What I have:

Two gallantweb machines ( http://www.gallantry.com ) that are still
running v 1.x of their software (freebsd 2.x with some extras).  I'm
thinking I want to install a normal version of freebsd on one of them,
from my FreeBSD 4.2 CD's.  The boxes don't have floppy drives, cdroms,
nor any connectors for external disk media, other than USB ports (which
aren't supported by their software).

I'm thinking I have two options (both ways I'd be using the ftp method
of install, off of my other freebsd box):

1) run /stand/sysinstall on their machine, except that part-way through
doing the install that way, wouldn't I be over-writing the kernel that
I'm depending upon? (note: I want to do a fresh install, not an upgrade)

2) buy a USB floppy drive, make 4.2 install floppies, and install that
way.

But number 2 depends upon FreeBSD 4.2 being able to see and use USB
floppy disks.

Any advice on how I should move forward?

--
John "kzin" Rudd                       http://www.domain.org/users/kzin
Truth decays into beauty, while beauty soon becomes merely charm. Charm