Date:      23 Jul 1999 06:06:03 -0000
From:      Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@outblaze.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Postmark results with DPT RAID-5

Hi, I am trying to stress test a DPT RAID controller DPT SmartRaid
Ultra PM3334UW (Is there any standard mechanism or a methodology
available for this). Any way, I am using the benchmark tool "Postmark"
written by Network Appliance which is available via the URL
http://www.netapp.com/technology/level3/3022.html.

Here's the config of my NFS server running 3.2-stable from a few days ago

PII 333
256mb ram
Scsi 9 gig HDD
Adaptec 2940UW scsi card.
Intel Etherexpress 10/100 Mbps NIC
DPT SmartRaid Ultra PM3334UW
--> 6 x 18.6 Seagate Cheatah running RAID 5

The NFS client machine also running 3.2-stable from a few days

PII 333
256mb ram
Scsi 9 gig HDD
Adaptec 2940UW scsi card.
Intel Etherexpress 10/100 NIC
nfs mount options: soft,rw

Machines are connected via a 100 Mbps switch

This is the postmark results for NFS (1000 initial files and 50,000
transactions). The 90GB filesystem mounted NFS has softupdated enabled
on it

Time:
        520 seconds total
        513 seconds of transactions (97 per second)

Files:
        25739 created (49 per second)
                Creation alone: 1000 files (166 per second)
                Mixed with transactions: 24739 files (48 per second)
        25145 read (49 per second)
        24602 appended (47 per second)
        25739 deleted (49 per second)
                Deletion alone: 478 files (478 per second)
                Mixed with transactions: 25261 files (49 per second)

Data:
        160.78 megabytes read (309.20 kilobytes per second)
        164.40 megabytes written (316.15 kilobytes per second)

I also ran the benchmark on a soft-update local filesystem on the NFS
client and these are the results

Time:
        187 seconds total
        187 seconds of transactions (267 per second)

Files:
        25739 created (137 per second)
                Creation alone: 1000 files (1000 per second)
                Mixed with transactions: 24739 files (132 per second)
        25145 read (134 per second)
        24602 appended (131 per second)
        25739 deleted (137 per second)
                Deletion alone: 478 files (478 per second)
                Mixed with transactions: 25261 files (135 per second)

Data:
        160.78 megabytes read (859.79 kilobytes per second)
        164.40 megabytes written (879.12 kilobytes per second)

If somebody else can also share their results using the "postmark"
tool. I would appreciate it. Just want to get a feel if these numbers
are good. I am planning to evaluate the Mylex DAC960SX SCSI-SCSI RAID
also and shall post the numbers once I get the card

Also, is there a way via camcontrol to simulate a disk failure so I
can test RAID reconstruction

Cheers, Yusuf
--
Yusuf Goolamabbas