Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 18:22:29 +0200
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        Reifenberger Michael <Michael.Reifenberger.gp@icn.siemens.de>
Cc:        "'Bruce Evans'" <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AW: Oracle8.1.6/Linux inst prob (Is JRE prob).

> Hi,
> that reminds me that after calling the installer I also see a 'sigaltstack:
> Nicht genügend Hauptspeicher verfügbar'
> (translates to ...not enough mainmemory avaiable)
> Could it be a problem in the linuxerator since I expect the Installer to be
> tested and working und native Linux.

Hmm this problem is byting us more and more. I have been talking
to Marcel about it. I traced it back to a difference in de
minimal stack size between Linux and FreeBSD.

Linux defines SIGMINSTSZ as 2048 and FreeBSD defines it as 8192.
Thus in sigaltstack() a check is made if the segment is big
enough and a memory error is returned when it finds the segment
is too small.

This is kind of a bitch to fix (at least I wouldn't know of a good
way) since we can't supply a new memory segment from the linuxulator
since the segment has to be allocated in user space and not in
kernel space. As a hack I tried resetting the size in the linuxulator to
8192, but that didn't work (obviously I suppose).

If anyone knows of a clean way to fix this, please! It would propably also
allow us to run the IBM version of JDK 1.3 (prerelease at this stage),
which promises to be one of the fastests JDKs around.

> Bye/2
> ------
> Michael Reifenberger - IT, UNIX, R/3-Basis
> Work: Michael.Reifenberger@plaut.de    Proj:
> Michael.Reifenberger.gp@icn.siemens.de
> Pers: Michael@Reifenberger.com  Webspace: http://www.reifenberger.com

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl