Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:52:37 +1300
From:      Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware

Regarding the Barracuda ST150176LW ...

I'd like to comment that the real problem with this drive is rather on
the backup side. I'm using a DDS4 drive (40GB compressed, 20GB raw) and
I get about 10GB / hour backup performance. Both the disk and the tape
drive are on the same SCSI channel. The disk is almost full, lots of
gzip'ed data on it. It took me an estimated 8 hours and 3 DDS4 tapes for
the complete dump 0.

Time for LTO to show up.
	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Waikato Applied Network Dynamics 	Phone: +64 7 8384794