Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:10:20 -0600
From:      "Corey G." <ctgaff@telocity.com>
To:        Alexandr Kovalenko <neve_ripe@yahoo.com>
Cc:        lists <lists@lists.grot.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing onto a new drive from a running system

I successfully did a dupe of my running FreeBSD 4.2 system using the
following method just a few weeks ago. My goal was to keep it as simple
as possible.  I use pull out drives which makes this method even easier
for myself.

1. installed the second drive as a slave
2. created partitions and labeled partitions using sysinstall from the
   running system
3. mounted each partition from the slave drive one at a time to /mnt
4. used "rsync -avp /source/ /mnt" as my copy method for each FS

When I was done I simply switched my master and slave drive and
rebooted.  Everything worked without a single modification.

Rsync was my choice, maybe not the fastest in this situation but it
worked.

Thanks,
Corey

---end quoted text---