Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2016 16:00:18 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.ChatUSA.com>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bizarre clone attempt failures on Raspberry Pi2...

On Jul 15, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Rodney W. Grimes =
<freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.ChatUSA.com> wrote:

> [trimmed]]
>>> I'm having a hard time understanding how a problem report got =
generated
>>> about all this, or how any of it is anything other than "Karl
>>> misconfigured his system."
>>>=20
>>> The downloadable system images work correctly.  You made a local =
change
>>> (formatted new media) and depending on how you want to look at it,
>>> either you didn't format correctly or you didn't make your config =
files
>>> match the way you formatted, and that made your system stop working.=20=

>>> It doesn't mean there is anything wrong about the way the =
downloadable
>>> images are generated.
>>>=20
>>> Changing fstab in the distributed images so that a failure to mount =
>>> filesystem becomes a non-error seems like a bad idea to me.  The =
only
>>> way that problem happens with a downloaded image is if the image =
wasn't
>>> burned successfully, and that doesn't seem like something that needs =
>>> just get papered over just because in your use-case you don't really
>>> need the filesystem that failed to mount.
>>>=20
>>> A PR about the fact that it hung without visibly reporting an error =
may
>>> be appropriate.  A PR that says we should just paper over the error
>>> because you don't care about it doesn't seem appropriate.
>>=20
>>=20
>> Maybe it should be filed as a "feature request" rather than a "bug."  =
Does Bugzilla support the distinction?
>>=20
>> I agree with Ian that this is not a bug in the sense that anyone =
installing from the distributed images will never trigger it on their =
install media.
>=20
> So its not a bug because it doesnt happen at install time?  Thanks, we =
can
> now go close 80% of the PR's as non bugs cause they dont happen in the
> install image.

If you are being pedantic, I guess it is a sort of bug, of the class =
PEBKAC.  I don't believe FreeBSD can fix those. ;-)

Note that what you said is not really what I said.  I never said it =
isn't a bug because you can't trigger it at install time.  I said it's =
not a bug because you can't trigger it on your install media.  "Install =
media" was probably a bad choice of words on my part.  I should probably =
have written "installed media."  To clarify, I mean if you install via =
the distribution image to an SD card then the resultant installed system =
on that SD card will never trigger this "bug."

Someone managed to have a problem because when they devised their own =
method to make their own SD card that still used the stock distribution =
/etc/fstab they omitted a vitally important step that caused the system =
not to boot.  I'm not sure how that makes it a bug with the distribution =
images.  If it is, I imagine the "How to reproduce" section would run =
something like this:

1. Unlabel the MS-DOS file system on the MS-DOS partition of the SD card
2. Reboot your system
3. Become angry at your computer because it refuses to mount the MS-DOS =
file system by its file system label

;-)

>=20
>> It is reasonable to file a feature request to omit /boot/msdos as a =
mandatory mount.  I think when I first was using FreeBSD/arm on my =
Raspberry Pi it wasn't mounted, but then that predates the current =
distribution images.  Now it is.  I can see arguments either way and the =
current setting makes sense to me.  I think Warner and Ian hit the nail =
on the head that the real issue is the lack of output on the video =
console during /etc/rc processing.
>>=20
>=20
> And that is, IMHO, a bug, and a PR should be opened for it as well.

I agree, and because I also appear to have the same problem on my =
FreeBSD/amd64 systems, I'm not holding my breath for a speedy =
resolution. :-)

(I've never managed to get "multicons" to work across all consoles =
during /etc/rc.)

>=20
>> Incidentally, does setting console=3D"vidconsole" in =
/boot/loader.conf fix the problem of a lack of /etc/rc messages for =
those who are using an HDMI monitor as their primary/only console?  If =
so, there may also be a case for making that the default if the =
assumption is that a minority of people will be using a serial console.  =
(Not a fair assumption right now, IMHO, but perhaps a fair one going =
forward as FreeBSD/arm becomes Tier 1.)
>=20
> I think the issue of robustness inspite of problems is being ignored =
on these issues for
> some reason.  Adding nofail to /etc/fstab makes the system far more =
robust in lite of
> things that may go wrong.  This is a GOOD thing.
>=20
> Having console=3D"vidconsole,comconsole" again is a robustness feature =
and makes handing
> install time, or any time later easier to deal with.
>=20
> Documenting that the output of /etc/rc.d/* does not appear on the vid =
console and
> that you should look on a serial console if you are experiencing boot =
time problems
> would be another robustness feature.
>=20
> Putting noatime, or atleast giving the user an option to, at FreeBSD =
install time
> on all SD card mounted file systems would be yet another robustness =
feature.  I
> know that this is hard to do as the SD images are pre rolled with a =
hardcoded
> /etc/fstab at build time.
>=20
> FreeBSD should always strive to be robust inspite of problems, any =
problem, if
> the cost to do so is minimal.  Adding nofail to the msdos partition =
fstab
> entry on the built images is a minimal effort.
>=20
> The tools that try to access this partition from userland well =
gravefully
> report errors that the user can easily address.

I agree with most everything you say above.  AFAIK, FreeBSD/arm =
officially becomes "Tier 1" with 11.0-RELEASE.  When that happens, I =
figure "robustness" will be more at the forefront of development as it =
becomes more mainstream due to that appellation.

For me, all I can say is my hat is off to the FreeBSD/arm developers who =
have improved the stability and usability of FreeBSD/arm just over the =
last year.  It has improved immensely.  Thank you one and all!

Cheers,

Paul.=