Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 20:53:25 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] Finding people with GSM phones (was Re: GPS heads up )

At 12:40 06.05.00 -0600, you wrote:
>> > Plus, they can get a fix on the phone in 300ms (good to about 25m),
>> > which is far faster than a GPS unit can do it.  Basically, the phone is
>> > 'locked on' as soon as you turn it on and it finds a cell tower.  And,
>> > apparently they've figured out a way to get a coarse fix on it even
>> > where there is only one tower, although when I pressured him, he just
>> > smiled and claimed it was a trade secret.
>> >
>> > Or so I've been told, but I trust the source since he's one of the
>> > smartest guys I ever met. :)
>>
>> GSM (which is what all of these systems are based on) depends heavily on
>> knowing the flight time from the phone to the cell hardware (and back), in
>> order for TDMA to work correctly.  25m is special for a reason I don't
>> recall (possibly flight time for one clock, or something similar).
>>
>> Triangulation is typically trivial with only two towers (your phone will
>> generally log into at least the strongest three or four cells) because
>> the towers use directional antennae, so the tower knows where the antenna
>> you're on is pointing and you can eliminate the shadow position (most of
>> the time).
>
>Right, with triangulation it's trivial.
>
>> With one tower, you're down to describing an arc along which
>> the phone is probably located; still pretty good when it comes to finding
>> someone.
>
>He seemed to imply that they could get it within 25m, even with one
>phone.  Like I said, I don't understand how, but I didn't question his
>ability.  Plus, he knows alot more about the stuff than I do.

Hi!

Well, I've heard reports that they are working on precision calculations
where you are...

Those numbers only work (at least this is my latest understanding) if you
are actually doing some calls, so that all towers (in the GSM-900 net, IIRC
the phone locks to three towers, one for primary data transfer, the other
two for backup or movement issues to hand over) have some active connection.
If the phone is only turned on, it sends some data to the tower, so that
you know that in the area this tower overlooks, (360 degree) it is somewhere.

There were some famous cases where some criminals were located by tracking
down their cell phone. The police needed some decision from court to do
that, but after that, it was a short way to go. The GSM nets have some of
this ability built in, to track phones. The operators only don't want the
"normal" citizen or user to know about that.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)