Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:45:41 -0500
From:      Mary <mlhenze@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   system freezes after quitting ppp

Folks,

I've got a frustrating problem with ppp. I can connect fine, but the
system locks up tight about 10-15 secs after I quit ppp, and I need to
do a hard reset.

I start ppp at the command line, do a "dial myisp", get
the "PPP" indication, check mail/whatever, go back to the "PPP" prompt,
type "quit", get the shell prompt back, and about 10 secs later it's
locked up tight. ppp logs indicate normal ppp termination.

I first noticed the problem after upgrading to 4.4-Release. Prior to
that, it was running 4.3-Release with no problems. I upgraded to
4.5-Release and the problem persisted. Deleted source tree and refetched
tree for 4.5-Release and did a careful rebuild. No luck. I've tried a
generic kernel, replicated the problem with different ISPs, and
everything else I could think of. I'm stumped.

Hardware is Vaio Z505JS with AmbiCom 56K Pccard modem

Any ideas? Thanks.

FreeBSD bridget 4.5-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p2 #0: Sat Mar  9
14:18:07 EST 2002     root@bridget:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BRIDGET  i386