Date:      22 Aug 2002 23:25:13 +0200
From:      Oliver Biermann <Oliver.Biermann@tu-clausthal.de>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA driver is doing a fallback to pio mode4 on Promise Ultra66

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 21:01, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
> Oliver Biermann wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I've Problems with the ATA driver in 4-STABLE (cvsupped the source
> > today, but the problem exists for me since back to 4.6-RELEASE as far
> > as I remember). The driver is doing a fallback from UDMA66 mode to PIO4
> > mode on my Promise Ultra66 controller. (On the onboard controller of my
> > mainboard [UDMA100] and on my HighPoint UDMA66 controller this does not
> > happen).
> >
> > Here are the messages I receive:
> >
> > Aug 22 14:05:56 interruptus /kernel: ad8: READ command timeout tag=0
> > serv=0 - resetting
> > Aug 22 14:05:56 interruptus /kernel: ata4: resetting devices .. done
> <snip>
> > Aug 22 14:06:26 interruptus /kernel: ad8: trying fallback to PIO mode
> > Aug 22 14:06:26 interruptus /kernel: ata4: resetting devices .. done
> > Aug 22 14:06:36 interruptus /kernel: ad8: READ command timeout tag=0
> > serv=0 - resetting
> > Aug 22 14:06:36 interruptus /kernel: ata4: resetting devices .. done
> >
> > The machine was booted 25 minutes ago, and I was listening to some music
> > from this hdd via samba 2.2.5 on my windows box...
> > I had this behaviour quite often in the last days:
> > booting, ata-driver in UDMA66 mode and then after some time using the
> > hdd a fallback to PIO4...
> > I would say it's not a cable-problem, because I checked my cables and
> > run the same configuration on the other controllers where all seems ok.
>
> I've had similar problems myself from 4.2-R on, but only because I
> didn't have any ATA66+ hardware until after I was using at least 4.2-R
> everywhere.  As long as the drive itself isn't a problem, switching
> controller/cable combinations has always removed the problem.  It seems
> that heterogenous ATA66+ configurations with lots of drives is a
> crap-shoot at best.  Have you tried swaping the cable out with a
> premium non-rounded ATA/100 cable (the kind you buy seperately for $20+
> each)?

Jep, I've tried it with the original Promise cable, with a rounded cable
and with non-rounded premium cables. I tried 5 or 6 cables and then I
tried two of them, which are not running on the Promise Controller on
the onboard controller and then on my Highpoint HPT366? (ATA66)
controller, where they are working correct.
Hmm...but perhaps it depends on the hdd, too...I've not tried to move
the Maxtor 120GB hdd (the only UDMA133 drive I've in the box) to another
one of the controllers I have, but I'll do next days to ensure, that the
drive itself isn't the problem. On the other hand: Why should a UDMA133
drive not run properly at UDMA66? but I'll try anyway ;)

Thank you for your answer (I didn't suspect the hdd itself till now)
and I'll write another mail, after I've done more tests.

See you
obie

--
- Oliver Biermann                     -