Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 20:06:24 -0700
From:      Imperial Irrigation District <iidpwr@lightlink.satcom.net>
To:        iidpwr@lightlink.satcom.net, terry@cs.weber.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, hsu@cs.hut.fi, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com, karl@mcs.com
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

The "upgrade problem" can't go away until the system configuration
data has been divorced for the configuration implementation.

Could you give me a specific example? I am not sure what you are talking
about.

As long as there is one shell script that must be modified to
reflect configuration information, upgrading will be a bitch.

It seems Ver. 2.0.5 is trying to seperate the configuration data from
the shell scripts which execute the corresponding commands.

For example, the file /etc/sysconfig contains the configuration information
such as whether this host is a NIS client, NIS server, or NFS client, and
the IP address for this hosts.

It's only when new developement doesn't affect the files containing
configuration data that upgrades will become easy.

Could the core FreeBSD team consider this suggestion? I think this is a great
suggestion since it may help to make upgrade more loyalty-user friendly.
In other words, to make the upgrade more friendly will make the loyal user
"HAPPY".

By the way, to pursuit happiness is one of the fundmental right which
documents in the Constitution. Don't feel offense. I am just trying to make
the FreeBSD better and greater.