Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:22:08 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux ps(1) for FreeBSD

On Tuesday, 29 December 1998 at 11:34:56 +0100, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> background:
>
> The Oracle Application Server for Linux uses ps(1) and grep(1) to monitor the
> creation of the necessary processes. The WRB could be easily tricked, but the
> web server itself seems to want the 'forest' option of ps(1). In short I
> don't at this time know if the web server doesn't start because it doesn't
> get the right output from ps(1) or that some other problem exists...
>
> questions:
>
> Does anybody know if there is a port of the Linux ps(1) for FreeBSD?

I don't know, but I'd consider it *extremely* unlikely.

> if not; is somebody currently porting ps(1)?
> if not; is ps(1) needed in other situations that a port is at all justified?

The problem is that ps(1) reflects some of the kernel's most intimate
parts.  It's very difficult to fake a Linux environment at this
level.  About the best you can hope for is to fake something which
Oracle will accept.  Do you have more details?

Is Larry Ellison still alive?

Greg