Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 00:08:24 -0500
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        "\"J.C. Frazier\"" <wolfman@csocs.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/15873: New Apache_fp+php+mod_ssl-1.3.9+3.0.12+2.4.8 port.

Hi,

>  [...] We have many customers that use
>  Frontpage Extensions in their pages and mod_dav doesn't cut it, sorry.
>  Sometimes full extention features are needed by my users such as timers,
>  counters, text effects, page searches, and form handlers. [...]

I agree with the fact that mod_dav is not an alternative to frontpage
extensions. By that I mean that they don't address the same problem. There
is some overlap in functionality (uploading files to a web server) but the
similarities end there.

However I would a LOT happier if there was a port for the mod_frontpage
module instead of having yet another
"apache13-xxx-yyy-zzz-asd-sa-sd-sdf-srd" port. The current situation is
already bad enough with the php(3,4), mod_ssl and what not versions.

To me the ideal situation would be:
- a simple apache port (apache13)
- a new port category (maybe) for the apache modules where I could find
  mod_ssl, mod_php, mod_frontpage, mod_xyz, etc.

This way I could choose exactly the apache configuration I need/want.

This is exactly why I created a "mod_dav" port as opposed to a
"apache-mod_dav-xxx" port. It would be really great if you could do the same
with the mod_frontpage module.

>  Dirk Froemberg wrote:
>
>  > We don't need more apache* ports, but less. ;-)

I think we are on the same wavelength...

Patrick.