Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2011 14:09:35 -0500
From:      Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mysql-5.5.8 & Postfix/Dovecot

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:37:38 +0300
Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com> articulated:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I have seen it posted here and on the Dovecot forum that upgrading
> > to mysql-5.5.8 on FreeBSD breaks both Postfix and Dovecot.
> > Apparently reverting to the mysql-client-5.5.7 corrects this
> > problem.
> >
> > Can any one else confirm this or is this simply an isolated
> > incident? If this is correct, is there a PR filed against it? I was
> > not able to locate one. Specifically, I am interested in the
> > interaction on an FreeBSD-8.2 / amd64 system.
> >

> I haven't filed a case though. My system is 8.2-STABLE/i386.
> I was running 5.5.7 with Request Tracker
> (Devel)<http://bestpractical.com/rt>and all played nice until I
> upgraded to 5.5.8. As this is a test platform, I
> wanted to install the next devel version of RT when I encountered a
> problem with initializing the database:
> I get this error:
>
> <cut>
> DBD::mysql::st execute failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax;
> check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for
> the right syntax to use near 'ENGINE=InnoDB  CHARACTER SET utf8' at
> line 15
> at /usr/home/wash/Tools/RT/RT-4/rt-4.0.0rc1/sbin/../lib/RT/Handle.pm
> line 508. *** Error code 255 </cut>
>
> My worry is so much about the character set error.
>
> I also found my dovecot broken:
>
> Jan 05 15:26:16 master: Error: service(auth): child 46112 returned
> error 1 Jan 05 15:26:16 master: Error: service(auth): command startup
> failed, throttling
> Jan 05 15:26:51 pop3-login: Error: Timeout waiting for handshake from
> auth server. my pid=46111, input bytes=0
> Jan 05 15:27:16 auth: Error: /libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
> /usr/local/lib/libmysqlclient.so.16: version libmysqlclient_16
> required by /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/auth not defined

I wonder if this is a Dovecot error or a problem with the MySQL
upgrade. Did you try asking Timo regarding the Dovecot problem? In any
case, it might be worth it to file a PR against both Dovecot and MySQL.
Nothing will probably get done until one is filed.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user@seibercom.net

And that's the way it is...