Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:32:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Nathan Stratton Treadway <nathanst@ontko.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware and turbotax

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > > I don't know the program, but do you need a license or an activator for
> > > it? (My question is: is it copy protection or something else?)
> > > It could check for some things; cpuid, mac address, that sort of stuff.
> >
> > yes it has an activator and I thinkit is doing something like that.
> > However it would be interesting what cpuid-type instruction vmware
> > doesn't do, considering that win98 works and IT has
> > similar activation.
> >

> > > What was that windows debugger called? WinIce or something like that?
> > > You could give it a try to run it in there to find out what it is doing.
> >
> > possibly but at present I have it running on
> > the raw hardware and I'll just buy the competition next year.
>

> I found this old thread about TurboTax and VMWare when researching this
> problem for myself, and thought some other readers of this list might be
> interested to know that I found this article on the VMWare site:
>  http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=901
>
> Sure enough, turning acceleration off allows me to get past the
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library "Runtime error! ... abnormal
> program termination" dialog box that I otherwise got when starting
> TurboTax 2002.
>
> I haven't gone too far through the process, but it seems that I can turn
> the acceleration back on as soon as the program is started, and it still
> works fine.  (So it does seem to be related to the Macromedia licensing
> software that Inuit added this year :( )
>
> (This is with VMWare 3.2.0 running on a Linux host.)

thanks for that..
I finished my taxes using W98 on teh real hardware so I don't need it
any more. :-)

but We only have vmware2.x on FreeBSD (gotta fix that one day) and I
don't remember seeing an 'acceleration' checkbox anywhere.
(maybe I'l look again tonight when I go home).

thanks for the pointer though..

Julian