Date:      Tue, 01 Feb 2000 19:48:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Damien Tougas <damien@tougas.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GUIs are flawed

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

[snip]

>> Take a look at Windows 2000 and how many millions of lines of code that
>> they have created just to compete with Unix. I think that KDE and GNOME
>> are great in some respects, but at the same time, I think that they
>> are just going to wind up as bloated and buggy as windows if they keep
>> increasing the complexity of their software. The larger that these
>> projects become, the more difficult the will be to maintain.
>
>FWIW, they are capturing a larger market segment as a result of
>this philosophy, regardless of whether they are technically
>right or wrong, in the limit.

The GUI _is_ capturing the larger segment from what I'm seeing -- even
among professionals. Brett isn't far off the mark on that.

My questions, though, are:

1. Is there enough interest in the community to create a rational GUI
frame work for a default FreeBSD install?

2. Is there enough maturity in the community to agree on a default
window manager without the bloody wars?

3. Can anyone put a value on the additional market share we'll get
from the effort?

4. If those three can be answered positively, How should we proceed?

-- Jay