Date:      Wed, 5 May 2010 19:41:19 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: booting??

On Wed, 5 May 2010 09:59:35 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> (I did try=20
>=20
>   # cdrecord dev=3D1,0,0 foo.iso=20
>  =20
> on a non-empty and and empty DVD.  no joy.=20

I'm not sure it's safe to use cdrecord for DVDs. Anyway, I
always wqas lucky using growisofs (from port dvd+rw-tools).
This is the command:

	# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=3Dfoo.iso

You can replace /dev/dvd with the ATAPICAM device refering
to your DVD recorder, usually something like /dev/cd0. The
command

	# camcontrol devlist

shows you the device name (l=F6ok for the SCSI ID 1,0,0 as
from your cdrecord example).

> what are the magic commands to use from the cmdline to=20
> erase my dvd?  is there a utility to erase?

In "man growisofs" I found this:

	Note that DVD+RW re-formatting procedure does not
	substitute for blanking.  If you want to nullify
	the media, e.g. for privacy reasons, do it
	explicitly with 'growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=3D/dev/zero'.

This should work, or try the respective cdrecord blank=3D
command (all or fast).

--=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany