Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 09:37:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        iain@ugh.net.au
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wierd dialup problems (hangups etc)

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, Iain Templeton wrote:

> I suspect this is not a FreeBSD problem, more a phone/modem problem, but I
> was wondering if anybody else has these problems, and if so underwhat
> circumstance.
>
> These things are happening under 2.1.0-RELEASE and two modems by the same
> manufacturer. (although different speeds 14.4 and 28.8).
>
> 1) When dialled in using a terminal program to access a shell, if a lot of
> text is written to the screen (eg it scrolls and scrolls and ...), then
> after a while the transfer just stops - and the only recovery is to hang
> up and dial in again (you get used to doing | more after a while).
>
> 2) Z-Modem transfers regularly have bad packets (in fact every 4K), which
> really kills the transfer rate (I was getting 400 bytes/sec on a 14.4K
> modem - peak is about 1200 bytes/sec).
>
> The really strange thing is that the lockup doesn't happen when doing a
> binary download or using ppp, only with shells (which makes me think that
> it could be my terminal program).
>
> Oh yes the remote (ie on the server) is on a PABX, however the phone call
> is on the same exchange (at least I hope so since they share the first two
> number in the phone number, but still --this bit removed for political
> reasons---).
>
> Thanks for any insight you can shed on this (I still think its the
> telephone network though)
>
> Iain.
>
> ----
> Iain Templeton:
> 	Sometime Claremont College Unix administrator
> 	Email: iain@ugh.net.au
> ----

While I am not a modem *expert* I have had some experiences with these
beasts.  It looks like you are experiencing problems associated with a
large number of errors (or noise) on your telephone line.  I would
suggest that you try to remove the PABX system from the equation as my
suspicion is that this is the source of your problems.  I have dealt with
many dial-up clients trying to connect to the university where I work,
and have consistently seen problems where a PABX is involved.  The PABX
system we use here is not guaranteed for data (modem) connections greater
than 2400 baud and this seems to be the case for many other systems as
well judging by the number of calls I have dealt with relating to this
problem.

Cheers,
Carey

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Infrastructure Services         ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !